Mar 22, 2012

from one generation to the next.....

Growing up, I would often dig through my dad's trunk full of pictures. When I was a young child, the "boringest" pictures I found in his trunk were of these old guys standing at a podium. I always tossed those photos aside without a second thought.

As I became older, I realized what those HUNDREDS of photos were of...Presidential Candidates giving speeches. From black and whites of Nixon's 1968 presidential bid, to Gerald Ford's 1976 Presidential bid. The incumbent Ford LOST the election to Jimmy Carter.

Interestingly, Gerald Ford was selected to replace a controversial Vice President under President Nixon in 1973, and after the Watergate scandal broke a short time later, President Nixon resigned and, The Newly appointed Vice President Ford became President of the United States, without ever having been elected to any office higher than congress.

New Hampshire is a popular stop for most Presidential Candidates. My dad had many oppurtunities to go and see them speak in person, and based on his photo collection of candidates, he went every chance he had.

Here is his photo of President Ford's 1976 campaign stop.





A 27 year old father of five, soon to be 6 kids, 1976 also happened to be the year that my dad made his own political run for local office. He became the republican candidate for a local seat in the New Hampshire state house.

After the loss of his first and only election bid, the stress of a young family and death of his fifth child made my father's political career very short.

He always remained interested in politics of all levels and made a point to stay informed.

From as far back as I can remember, I have been interested in politics. I can still remember standing next to the T.V. holding the rabbit ears in place trying to get better reception as Candidate Ronald Reagan gave speech after speech. Even my young little mind thought this guy KNEW what he was talking about.

Who knows if my dad made me hold the rabbit ears, or if I wanted to, either way, I heard Reagan's speeches, including his eventual inaugural speech, and that sealed it. I would be a follower of politics for the duration of my life.

Everything from our small town mayor, to all of our representatives on the local, state and federal levels. I keep an eye on them and have not hesitated to contact them on things I like or don't like.

Living in a state where democrats out number republicans 9-1 has been interesting, and never does my vote seem to matter. But I make sure to vote in all the elections, and I drag my kids with me each and everytime so they know how important the process is.

What a great surprise when Romney announced a stop in Maryland. Candidates almost NEVER stop in Maryland, especially Republican ones. Dale and I jumped at the chance and went to see him. I am clearly my father's daughter.

Like me, Romney is continuing his own father's tradition. His father ran for President of the United States back in 1968.

who knows, maybe a shot of George Romney campaigning in NH is hidden somewhere in my dad's pile of pictures. One day I will go through that pile and this time I will actually pay attention to "all those old men in the boringest pictures" because I am older, and those pictures are a lot more interesting to me now.

Here is a shot of Romney in MD. And yes, that is my face right behind his ear. If I am going to see him, I want to SEE him.


6 comments:

hdknowles said...

I love that you went to the event - I wish I could have gotten off work. Despite the fact that it doesn't seem as if we have a vote as Republicans or Independents in the state of Maryland, you are teaching your children a valuable lesson about civic involvement, which will do them well throughout their lives. Keep setting a good example for them.

Denise said...

How interesting! I love those pics of your dads and that he ran for office! That is so cool. I'm glad you got to see Romney. I'm sure it was very interesting. (I don't think my mom left a similar comment when I posted about Emily and I going to see Obama speak when he was running for office! lol)

Higleys said...

I am glad you are involved. What a great legacy to share with your kids.

Cindy said...

Very interesting post. I too am glad you are setting a good example for your children. I'm also glad that Denise and Emily went to see President Obama when he was running for office.

hdknowles said...

I'm sure Tammy's experience with Governor Romney was a little more intimate than yours with Obama at the University of MD. And she got in a photo with the governor - top that one Denise!

Lissa said...

Denise, I am impressed that your mom HAD a comment when you told her you went to see Obama! I would have been left speechless if my child had admitted such a thing!

Just Kidding of course...President Obama is an amazing speaker and I would have taken the oppurtunity to go see him. He knows how to work a crowd, and I know he has a good heart.

I just can't get on board with his vision for our country.