Sep 19, 2011

saying goodbye to Gram....

This post is overdue, and dedicated to one of the most amazing woman I have had the privilege of knowing...
A pioneer on every level,
A mother,
a loyal, committed wife,
A mother-in-law,
a talented, and devoted teacher of elementary students,
A genealogist,
An environmentalist, LONG before it was "cool",
A lifetime learner ,
A reader of good books
A follower of Christ,
a humble servant of Heavenly Father,
one of the most amazing grandmothers/great-grandmothers that the world has ever known...
Her example is one that will last for generations...

It was very tough to say good bye, but we know, without a doubt that she was ready to go...



Dale's Grandma worked at Old Faithful Inn, in Yellowstone National Park for 6 seasons during the 30's...She and Grandpa Kelley were dating while there together...she remembers many things from there including getting to go to the roof of the Inn to help Grandpa raise the flag...Grandpa feventually got over his cold feet after, I believe, 7 years of dating, and asked her to marry him...now that is a patient woman!


Her love of National Parks stayed with her...she passed it on to her children, who passed it on to their children...and now her grandchildren, including Dale, are passing it on to their children...Yellowstone and Zion's National park will always be her parks to me...While living in Saint George she told us she had been to Zion's "over 100 times...probably a lot more..." (she couldn't keep track because it had been such a regular thing)

My first visit to the Grand Canyon had been with her and Grandpa...I went to visit them in St. George over 14 years ago...Grandma and Grandpa Drove me the 8 hours to Grand Canyon. Grandma stayed in the car with Grandpa and Shawn so I could run down the path to see the Canyon...I spent 15 minutes in complete awe of the canyon....I ran back to the car, and we drove 8 hours back to St. George...

Who would drive 8 hours only to turn right back around just so I could see the Grand Canyon!??!! Dale's Grandma would, that's who!




Saint George will always remind me of her...What a beautiful final resting place for her...

She loved her grand kids,

Dale, me and the kids were staying in her garage while at her house 2 years ago. Dale and the kids were fast asleep. I got out of the shower and found her standing among them in the garage, just looking at them.

She called me over, put her arm around me and said "These are my treasures, these are my treasures."... She had happy tears in her eyes. It was a precious moment I will treasure. She dearly loved her grandchildren and her great grandchildren.

Dale's Grandma had often told us not to touch things in National Parks..."Leave it the way you found it"...After Greg touched a cactus, she thought it a good opportunity to remind him that we don't touch anything in National parks. Grandma never missed a teaching opportunity!
Grandma knew every interesting, odd and downright weird thing on the way to Zion's National Park. Including these funny ostriches with bad attitudes...(and the singing donkey, the house that had a boulder in it...etc)
Grandma taking us to visit Grandpa
Grandma and her "treasure"




Saying our Final Goodbyes...she touched each one of her great grandchildren so personally. I think they all believed that they were her only great grandchild. She knew about each one of their lives...I will never know how she did it, but she always sent birthday cards to each and everyone of them.

She sent David's to him in August. His birthday is in November, she knew she were going home and didn't want to miss sending out birthday cards....


Her two sons...she must have done a good job because these two aren't complete menaces to society.... they are good people...Sons that she was proud of....
I know first hand how much she loved and cherished her grandkids...One day I had the nerve to laugh at Dale about something...I couldn't stop laughing. Not being one to miss a teaching opportunity, Grandma taught me that laughing at her grandson in front of her was not OK.

When I get frustrated with Dale, or when I start wanting to tease him, her face still flashes through my mind..what a good example of family loyalty she was.


David, alone with his thoughts after saying his final goodbyes...



These are her treasures, her legacy and her life. She will be forever in all our hearts.
I have had her address memorized for years and years...I cannot imagine that she will no longer reside here...





Having a picnic in snow canyon is a perfect memorial to grandma, and you can tell who her great grandchildren are...

"Tammy, not to scare you, but look where your children are"...says her oldest Grandchild, Dale. Not alerting me to the children climbing this crazy steep mountain until they are well out of range for me to stop them. Like her, he believes the kids should be able to explore and have adventures....



That's them, cant see them, but they are really there....Definately related to Gram..a woman always exploring and willing to have an adventure...
I hope that part of her next great adventure will be to help me watch over these crazy treasures of hers....

Gram I love and Miss you!

Tammy

5 comments:

Cindy said...

What a special tribute to such a wonderful woman! I miss her.

Denise said...

So, the image of her standing in the garage watching them sleep is making me SOB. She is really one of the most amazing women of the world. It was such a pleasure when I got to see and talk to her. The world is far better off for her living in it.

Karen said...

That was really nice Tammy. Those are great photos too.

hdknowles said...

A wonderful tribute to an unforgetable woman - she was truly an inspiration to all those who knew her. How great it is to be able to call her a friend? They broke the mold when they made her. She will be truly missed.

Higleys said...

Thanks for the memories. What a beautiful way to be remembered.